Friday, January 9, 2009

Rex a Review


Author: Cathleen Lewis

Pages: 242 pages

Publisher: Thomas Nelson

Price: 16.49

Genre: Biography

Quick Summary:

Rather than going into a detailed description of Rex's life watch this video it tells the story of Rex.



This book is that story.

What I Liked:

Cathleen Lewis is a great writer. She describes the events with such detail and precision that you can feel this story. Speaking of the frustration of being kept away as doctors were strolling her newborn toward ICU Lewis describes it thus: “I lunged behind the bed as they hurried past, my reflexes sharpened by a potent cocktail of anxiety and love”. Such eloquent writing is throughout the book.

Yet, Rex is not merely well written, it is also raw, gritty, and real. You can feel the mother’s heart breaking each time news is given of how difficult life is going to be for her son. I found myself sharing in the author’s anger and bewilderment at the broken school systems. This book shows raw emotion: you can sense the underlying anger at the husband that abandoned her, the constant battle of “why God”, the pride of seeing her son perform, and a deep sense of what a mother’s love really is. What a great book, I found myself not able to put it down! I hope she writes another book as Rex grows more.

What I Disliked:

Perhaps a fitting “sequel” would be a real look at Cathleen’s faith during such a time. As you read this book you sense that God is there and that her faith is real. However, it seems as if God is in the background and that her view of Him is more of a magical genie. Then you read the last chapter and realize this is not the case at all. You see that her faith is much deeper, more grounded, and quite real. I would like to read a book with God in the foreground and Rex in the background. I understand the aim of this book and it very much serves its purpose, yet, after reading that last chapter I think there is a story in here that is yet to be told.

Should You Buy It?

I most certainly would suggest it to anyone. It’s such a well put together book and a wonderful story of God’s grace, a mother’s love, and how much we really can get through. It’s a great book.

Rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...