Tuesday, January 5, 2010

A "Critical" Prayer for the New Year

Galatians 6:1 Brothers, if someone is caught in a sin, you who are spiritual should restore him gently. But watch yourself, or you may be tempted.

Heavenly Father,

How easy it is for me to have a ‘critical’ spirit toward my brother. How easy it is for me to observe and confidently list his failure, his short-coming, and his inadequacy. If I see through your eyes, my heart will break with every word that I utter. If I see with the assistance of Satan, something else will happen. I will see the sin, but my observation will lead me to pride and judgment rather than humility and genuine concern. If I truly examine my own heart, most of my criticisms of my brother have to do with the rationalization of my failures....to the elevation of my service.....and to the foolish notion that I have greater insight and understanding of someone else which gives me the ‘right’ to pass judgment....... even if that judgment is forever unspoken.

I know that I judge others when my heart is not heavy when I criticize. I know that I have no humility when it causes me no lingering grief nor pain to utter a critical word of my brother. I know that I have leapt into the quicksand of pride, ego, and self-righteousness when I confidently speak the words of condemnation as if you have given me a special revelation of someone else’s soul.

Lord, when you give me the eyes to see wrong.....help me to see only that which leads me to humbly bring about healing and restoration. For every single criticism of someone else that crosses my mind show me ten failures and sins of my own. Whenever I begin to open my mind or my mouth to criticize my brother, show me Christ and show me my sin first. Then in humility may I be used by you to obey your word and gently help to restore my brother.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...