Friday, January 15, 2010

Does Your Heart Sing Doing Exegesis?

One of the main things that drew me to Southern Seminary was knowing that I would get to study under such men as Dr. Tom Schreiner.  I am very excited that this semester I am taking his New Testament 2 class.  In preparation for the class I am reading his book on Interpreting the Pauline Epistles (Guides to New Testament Exegesis) .  This quote struck me:

Exegesis will never be one’s passion unless one’s heart is gripped by biblical truth; only then will it lead to a deeper and richer joy in God (John 15:11).  If one’s heart never sings when doing exegesis, then the process has not reached its culmination.  And if one has never trembled when doing exegesis (Isa. 66:2), then one is not listening for the voice of God.”  (Schreiner, T. Interpreting the Pauline Epistles p19)

In case you are not aware exegesis is simply the exploration of the meaning of a text (in our case a biblical text).  To exegete something is to attempt to discover it’s meaning. 

2 comments:

  1. Once a year: gloria en excese gesiso.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good quote and a great reminder. It makes me think of Piper's word picture of exegesis being the roots, doctrine the stem, and praise the flower. Grace to you as you study, brother. I pray that the Lord breaks you, humbles you, heals you, grows you, and causes you to exalt Him more deeply than you previously thought possible because of this class. We miss you guys.
    Grace,
    Will

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...