Saturday, February 27, 2010

Staying the Course

1 Kings 3:3-14

In 1 Kings 3:5, God made Solomon an offer he couldn’t refuse, Ask what I shall give you. This was an open ended offer – a blank check – and opportunity for wealth, power, long life, anything he wanted. Solomon responded by asking God for wisdom – for wisdom so that he could discern between good & evil as he led the people of Israel. God gave him his request. And it was the best thing Solomon could have asked for.

Solomon started out well, but in time, he did not ‘choose wisely.’ He began to follow the morality and customs of the unbelieving world around him. He traveled a path which eventually led him to the place where he regularly worshiped many gods and turned his back on the One, True God. The people followed his example and the nation was fractured when Solomon died.

God warned him that this would happen when He said, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you have been before and none like you shall arise after you.....IF you walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days (1 Kings 3:12, 14).

We sometimes forget that being a child of God entails a journey, not an event. We are called to be faithful throughout our days. God gives us His Word, His church, His Spirit, and our fellow believers to encourage us along the way. Just because you/I were faithful to God at one time does not guarantee that we are traveling on the right and proper road. As I said, the life of a believer is a Journey, not an Event. My baptism, my knowledge of God & His Bible, my intentions are of little value if I do not put them into practice.

May you & I stay the course and do what we know to do when it comes to God’s plan for our lives.........and keep on doing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...