Tuesday, October 11, 2011

What I Hope to Say at the End of Ministry

My dear flock, I have, according to the grace given me, labored in the course of my ministry, among you, to feed you with the heart-strengthening bread of practical doctrine; and I do assure you, it is far better you should have the sweet and saving impressions of gospel-truths feelingly and powerfully conveyed to your hearts, than only to understand them by a bare [reasoning]…Leave trifling studies to such as have time lying on their hands, and know not how to employ it: remember you are at the door of eternity, and have other work to do; those hours you spend upon heart-work in your closets, are the golden spots of all your time, and will have the sweetest influence upon your last hour.    (John Flavel, From Saints Indeed)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...