Thursday, June 23, 2011

Kidney Stones and Hardness of Heart

…the child of God has not total and final hardness of heart, but has a sensibleness of it, he feels and sees it.  Total hardness feels nothing, but a Christian that has hardness of heart, feels that he has it; as a man that has a stone in his bladder, feels and knows that he has a stone.  (Sibbes, The Tender Heart, 41-42)

I have never had a kidney stone.  But I can say with a pretty firm confidence that I do not want one.  This quote leads me to ask myself whether or not I grieve my occasional hardness of heart towards the Lord as I would grieve a kidney stone? 

Does an absence of strong affections for Jesus cause me pain like passing a kidney stone would?

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...