Friday, May 21, 2010

Why I Study Theology

I read a ton.  Even when I am not in class I study.  Some may call this nerdery.  I may be inclined to agree.  But something I read today by Dietrich Bonhoeffer help me to understand why I so vigorously study theology.  It helps me to remember the reason why I am in seminary and the reason that I read and write.  When this stops being true I should stop what I am doing:

…their call to study theology consists of the fact that the subject has simply enthralled them and refuses to let them go.  Of course, it must really be theology that has captivated them.  There must be a genuine readiness to meditate on God, his word and his will; ‘their delight is in the law of the Lord day and night’. 

That is why I do what I do.  Jesus has captivated my heart.  I study theology, read old books, write, struggle through hard texts because…I like to do it. 

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...