Preaching the gospel to teenagers would absolutely mortify some people. Thankfully Peter Mead as offered 5 level-headed tips (click through to see his explanations).
- Be engaging, don’t be silly
- This generation values meat
- Recognize that you are speaking cross-culturally
- Don’t be longer than necessary, but realize that attention spans are as short as ever
- The younger generation value authenticity more than previous generations
I agree with each of these. I am thankful that many people are beginning to realize that a good number of teens actually value the meat of God’s Word more than spam-eating contests.
Alongside of these five I would add a sixth:
6. Allow for interaction. Teens today are accustomed to being able to comment online, text, tweet, etc. Making room for healthy interaction is a sure fire way to keep a short attention span.