- "A god exists who created and ordered the world and watches over human life on earth."
- "God wants people to be good, nice, and fair to each other, as taught in the Bible and by most world religions."
- "The central goal of life is to be happy and to feel good about oneself."
- "God does not need to be particularly involved in one's life except when God is needed to resolve a problem."
- "Good people go to heaven when they die."
What I have a heart for—and what I think can actually change the world—is the local church and our faithfulness to the proclamation of the gospel. Our kids (yes, church kids) have a “moralistic therapeutic deism” because they watch their parents display such a belief with their lives and their lips. A lame gospel inevitably produces rotten fruit.
I am going a different direction with this. So, if you were looking forward to those 5 posts, I apologize. But I will be considering this idea of moralistic therapeutic deism over the next few weeks. Once I get a little clarity I will create a post that serves as a hub for all of these thoughts. But the point of this post still stands A lame gospel inevitably produces rotten fruit.