Wednesday, August 4, 2010

The Spirit Needed To Persuade Us of Our Justification

Richard Sibbes speaking of the necessity of the Spirit to convince us of our justification:

And unless the Spirit did it, it would never be done, for the soul of man is so full of terrors and fears and jealousies, that unless the Spirit of God witnessed to my spirit that God is reconciled to Christ and that Christ’s righteousness is mine, I could never be persuaded of it.  For the soul always thinks, God is holiness itself and I am a mass of sin; what reason have I to think that God will be so favorable to such a wretch…Unless the Spirit should tell me that God the Son has satisfied (and the Father accepts the Son’s satisfaction), I should never believe it.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...