Wednesday, May 4, 2011

He Has Overcome!

One thing never ceases to amaze me:  I can spend hours studying Scripture, reading books about the Lord, writing papers about the gospel, preparing sermons exalting Jesus and yet my heart can slowly grow calloused.  I don’t drift into holiness and God-honoring affections.  Instead I slowly drift into God-belittling idolatry and complacency when I handle precious gospel truths. 

I am aware of this.  That helps.  But it is not enough to be aware.  I must also fight.  There is one thing that I do to fight for joy in Christ that I want to share with you.  I keep a mental file of “gospel awakeners”.  There are certain texts, certain videos, certain truths, that inevitably awaken me to the beauty of the gospel. 

Of course these could easily become golden calves that direct me away from worshipping Christ and instead cause me to worship the act of worship.  But I have found this practice very helpful in awakening my heart to the beauty of what Christ has done on my behalf. 

One particular truth that always seems to spark my affections is that Christ Jesus has overcome!  To this end I always find this video by The David Crowder* Band helpful:

Enjoy! 

He HAS OVERCOME!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...