Friday, April 24, 2009

Dr Mohler on Lord's Prayer


Dr. Mohler is preaching a powerful, insightful series of sermons on the Lord's Prayer in Southern's Chapel this spring. In his inimitable style, he addresses the issue of prayer that the church needs to hear today. After all, we have turned prayer into our own personal litany of repetitive, meaningless phrases of little thought and consequence.

The introductory sermon begins on February 10. The sermons are all well worth downloading, hearing, and contemplating. Once this is done....get on your knees and start praying!

3 comments:

  1. The surface level of my own personal prayers led me to reading some of the liturgical prayers of the church fathers and mothers. I've realized, to a greater degree, the value of written prayers that have stood the test of time.

    That's a side note, but I thought it was somewhat relevant to the topic.

    Cheers buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    It's sad that many Southern Baptist think that a written prayer has little to no value and dub it as impersonal. To me it's no more impersonal than praying Scripture. (Not equating the writing of others with Scripture, but the concept is the same).

    You may not be a big fan of the Puritans but The Valley of Vision is phenomenal as far as written prayers go.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, that's a wonderful little book. My wife and I prayed through it a few years ago - it was so deep and challenging.

    Btw - Though I am not a Calvinist and have numerous issues with Calvinists, I still have a deep respect for Calvin, John Piper, and others, including the Puritans. If it's anything my graduate work at MU taught me, it is that ANYBODY can be critiqued and disagreed with. The question is, am I humble enough to also realize I can learn a great deal from those same people. Calvin was probably closer to God then I will ever be and even though I disagree with him, I can still respect his passion and love for our mutual savior.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...