Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Lessons from Augustine’s Mother

“But you sent down your help from above and rescued my soul from the depths of this darkness because my mother, your faithful servant, wept to you for me, shedding more tears for my spiritual death than other mothers shed for the bodily death of a son.  For in her faith and in the spirit which she had from you she looked on me as dead.  You heard her and did not despise the tears which streamed down and watered the earth in every place where she bowed her head in prayer…”

--From Augustine’s Confessions. 

This is an encouragement to not give up for those the Lord has set upon your heart.  May we weep for our beloved unbelievers in the way that Augustine’s mother wept for him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...