Monday, July 26, 2010

Review of Radical by David Platt

Author: David Platt

Pages: 240pgs

Publisher: Multnomah

Price: 9.99

Genre: Christian Living/Missions

Quick Summary:

If you are unfamiliar with David Platt that will probably change soon. At least it should. He is extremely passionate about the gospel and about missions. This book is a challenge that encompasses both. At the end you will be encouraged to take a “one-year journey in authentic discipleship”.

This really is not a call to “radical” Christianity. This is a call to actually follow Jesus. This isn’t radical Christianity it is living out the Christian life as if Jesus actually has more worth than our security, money, personal comforts, and even family.

The book is jam packed with real stories of real people doing the things that Platt points out in this book. Throughout he discusses missions, the glory of God, poverty, and our response to these calls upon our life.

What I Liked:

It is well written, it is gospel-driven, and obvious that Platt is passionate about spreading the glory of God to the nations. This book and the ministry of David Platt is being used as a much needed wake up call to comfortable Christians like myself. I was given this book at the Baptist21 event during the SBC Annual Meeting, read it on the plane ride home, and have been praying about how to live out the truths presented in this book. It has opened my eyes even further to things that I was already passionate about. This book really spurred me on to ask—“what are you going to do about it”.

What I Disliked:

A well-written “caution” is provided by Kevin DeYoung here. I agree with most of what DeYoung says but I think his cautions can also lead to complacency. I think Platt’s response to DeYoung is wonderful. Essentially I think that at times Platt can overstate his case and oversimplify the solution. But I think that perhaps DeYoung may be going too far the other way. The problem will come when people add to Platt’s message or DeYoung’s message.

All in all the only thing I disliked is that this book caused me to cut my cable television.

Should You Buy It?

Absolutely. But I will warn you. God will kick you in the pants if you really listen to this book. Not because Platt is a radical but because he is stubbornly biblical and will not allow us to settle for the American Dream against the Biblical Reality. I’m pretty confident that God will use this book in your life. Buy it for under 10 bucks.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars

David Platt 20/20 2010 from Southeastern Seminary on Vimeo.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...