Monday, April 23, 2012

Proverbs for Christian Blogging: The Fountain That I’m Not

Proverbs can be a very helpful book to turn for those wanting to engage in online communication for the glory of God.  We have already noted from Proverbs 1 that Christian Bloggers Should Not Join an Ambush to Gain Traffic or “I’d Rather Be a Small Life-Giving Blog Than a Highly Visited Tomb”

Today we look at the second…

#2 Wise Blogging Flows From a Sure Fountain and I’m Not It

I do not think this is truly ironic but it is at least Alanis Morrissette Ironic.  There is a life behind this post that I want to make you aware of.  This article itself has been sitting in my “drafts” for about a week.  What I desire to say in this article is that faithful bloggers are dependent bloggers.  The only source from which we derive wisdom (that which alone is worthwhile and lasting) is the LORD.  We cannot conjure up wisdom in ourselves we must seek the LORD for wisdom. 

Here is the “ironic” part: I am having a really difficult time writing this article.  It has went through two or three different editions.  I know that I could have just hit “publish” last week and then moved on to #3 in this series.  Yet, to do so would have been hypocritical because I knew deep down that I was simply writing just to get #2 out there.  And the whole point of #2 in this series is to say, “don’t do that”.  So my utter dependence in the LORD is being highlighted in trying to write this article. 

One of the best tips for gaining an audience with your blog is to post often.  A large reason why Tim Challies has gained the audience he has is because of faithfully blogging every day.  Of course he is also a great writer and the Lord has blessed His online ministry.  Not everyone should write an article every day.  Yet, it is wise to have a steady flow of material coming from your site. 

The faithful blogger, then, desires to create quality content at least on a semi-daily basis.  The problem, though, is that he/she is not an overflowing fountain of wisdom.  The faithful blogger does not simply want to post something just because it is Tuesday and this is her day to post.  No, the faithful blogger wants her writing to be saturated with Christ-centered wisdom.  What then is the pressed blogger to do? 

My son, if you receive my words and treasure up my commandments with you, making your ear attentive to wisdom and inclining your heart to understanding; yes, if you call out for insight and raise your voice for understanding, if you seek it like silver and search for it as for hidden treasures, then you will understand the fear of the LORD and find the knowledge of God.  For the LORD gives wisdom; from his mouth comes knowledge and understanding.

This Proverb is telling us that we must diligently seek out wisdom.  We do not find it in ourselves but we are given wisdom by the LORD.  The LORD is very gracious and desires that His people be marked by wisdom.  Therefore, we must diligently seek His wisdom and not our own.  For me this means two things. 

First, I am a dependent blogger.  I cannot write quality posts just because it is Monday and I usually write something about ministry.  If truly useful stuff will flow from this blog it will not come because I am an amazing writer.  Truly edifying material will come because the LORD has graciously bestowed upon me wisdom which I diligently sought out (or in His grace He just slapped me in the face with it). 

Secondly, there is only one fountain and I am not it.  The only fountain from which wisdom flows and that fountain is the Lord.  Many may draw from this stream with broken pales or dirty buckets but if we are to have wisdom it must come from this spring.  Therefore, the wise blogger will keep his “ear attentive” and when he hears wisdom he will write it down.  This way he will not be drawing each morning from a blank slate but from hours drinking from the fountain of wisdom. 

You are a dependent blogger (and commenter).  If we truly desire to edify the body in what we write (whether through article or comments or other social media) then we will stay close to Jesus and come to grips with the fact that He is the fountain and we are not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...