Monday, May 25, 2009

Monday’s Ministry Musing: Not Pitching Matters Too High

Last January (that’s 2008) I read Richard Sibbes’ The Bruised Reed.  Chapter 5 in particular was used by the Lord to convict me deeply about my attitude towards those under my care.  This comment of Sibbes was particularly convicting:

"Preachers need to take heed therefore how they deal with young believers. Let them be careful not to pitch matters too high, making things necessary evidences of grace which agree not to the experience of many a good Christian, and laying salvation and damnation upon things that are not fit to bear so great a weight."

How often have you seen a new believer (or even a seasoned one) for that matter highly discouraged because someone makes a major deal out of a minor issue?  I know I have been guilty of playing the “you may not be saved” card (especially early on in ministry). 

Do my work for me…

What are some examples of “making things necessary evidences of grace” and “laying salvation and damnation upon things that are not fit to bear so great a weight”?  What are these “evidences” that you have mistakenly used? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...