Thursday, March 24, 2011

If King David Blogged In Our World

King David wakes up from his royal slumber.  The dreary-eyed David checks his email. 

14 new messages. 

After deleting all of the male enhancement products, requests from Nigerian princes, and chain letters about loving Jesus and America Israel he reads this gem:

-----

Subject: You Suck!

Dearest King David,

I heartily disagree with your theology.  RANT, RANT, RANT, RANT, a few true statements, A COUPLE STABS AT YOUR CHARACTER, bless your heart.

Sincerely,

Joe Troll. 

-----

Now what happens in our day? 

King David hits reply and plays some serious defense.

Subject: You are in Error!  And I Suck Less than You!

Thanks for reading my blog.  Rather than listen to any positive criticism or truth that may be in what you are saying I am going to ignore this.  Instead of actually applying the gospel to my heart I am instead going to defend myself.  You have attacked my performance and I cannot handle that.  Therefore, I am going to pick your argument apart and display for all the world to see that you sir are an idiot, and I suck much less than you do.  Also NEVER question my theology.  I can’t handle that either.  So please respond with something that I am sure to also not listen to, so that we can talk around each other for all the watching world to see. 

King David after my own heart.

------

You know what?  David actually had all sorts of junk a million times worse in his life.  His own son wanted to kill him.  David didn’t blog about it.  David didn’t defend himself.  He pleaded with the Lord:

O LORD, how many are my foes!
        Many are rising against me;
     many are saying of my soul,
        there is no salvation for him in God. Selah
    But you, O LORD, are a shield about me,
        my glory, and the lifter of my head.
     I cried aloud to the LORD,
        and he answered me from his holy hill. Selah
    I lay down and slept;
        I woke again, for the LORD sustained me.
     I will not be afraid of many thousands of people
        who have set themselves against me all around.
    Arise, O LORD!
        Save me, O my God!
    For you strike all my enemies on the cheek;
        you break the teeth of the wicked.
    Salvation belongs to the LORD;
        your blessing be on your people! Selah
(Psalm 3 ESV)

David didn’t hit reply.  He went to sleep and trusted that the LORD would vindicate him.  And of course this is only reflecting the Greater David who was silent when mocked.  Jesus didn’t hit reply, either.  He endured the Cross know that the Father would vindicate him (the resurrection).

I have a ton to learn from David.  Obviously, even more to learn from Jesus.  Because he did speak sometimes.  He defended His gospel against the Pharisees.  He fought heresy.  He tackled demons.  But he also endured persecution.  Sometimes he was silent.  I pray that the LORD gives me the grace to take criticism well.  To be silent when I should and speak when I should. 

More than anything I pray that the gospel goes deep enough into my heart that I can go to sleep instead of feeling like I need to hit “reply”. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...