Monday, October 6, 2008

Today in Blogworld 10/06

I am not saying yet whether I agree or disagree but this is a very good video by Mark Driscoll and his wife Grace: Should I Be a Stay at Home Dad?

Josh Harris has been compiling sermon notes of various preachers. It's pretty interesting especially for us preacher folk.

At the Koinonia blog they feature a Monday's with Mounce (that's Bill Mounce) column. It's always worth a read. This morning we are treated to a "look at etymologies".

Timmy Brister is responding to Steve Lemke's 4 Stream's of Calvinism. Part 1 and Part 2 have been completed.

Pulpit Magazine asks and answers the question, "Why Elder Rule?"

This is really not a video but more of a song. What happens when you combine my favorite musicians with my favorite (if that's proper to say) preacher? You get Shane and Shane with John Piper. Check it out:

3 comments:

  1. I think Driscoll's way off base with this. Paul is saying that in a cultural context where women didn't work outside the home - and couldn't. They weren't educated, even.

    If my wife is more educated than I am, and therefore has a better opportunity to make more money, support our family, and expand the kingdom of God through increased giving, then there's no reason she shouldn't be able to work IF SHE WANTS TO!!

    It's this kind of thing that angers me - you can't just remove Paul's comments from its biblical and cultural context and MAKE IT FIT for our culture without reflection.

    I'm saying this, not as someone who has something at stake in this - b/c my wife wants to stay at home when we have kids and I'm okay with that. So, I have no real 'dog in this fight.'

    Except that I think Driscoll's completely wrong here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom,

    Great to hear from you! I was hoping that someone would provide the other side to this. Thank you for doing just that.

    One part that I thought was particularly lax with Driscoll's presentation was that he did not address the issue of it being cultural. He simply treated it as a non-issue and there is a substantial argument that those injunctions are cultural. Thanks for providing the other side.

    ReplyDelete
  3. No problem man. I just get so frustrated b/c i feel like we can't get anywhere in these kinds of discussions b/c we are so busy with our own agendas. I'm not innocent in this, either.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...