Tuesday, March 5, 2013

How Often Should I Post On My Blog?

I’ve been asking myself that question recently.

I started with a few general thoughts. 5 to be exact:

  1. Write daily
  2. Don’t post everything I write
  3. Post quality
  4. Post frequently (enough that people don’t wonder if I’ve died)
  5. Always keep people wanting more…

Then I charted posting frequency of some favorite blogs that are also widely read.

  • Challies 16.3
  • Ed Stetzer 12.8
  • Trevin Wax 11.0
  • 22 Words 65.6
  • Zach Nielsen 30.8
  • Desiring God 14.0
  • Jared Wilson 4.7
  • Justin Taylor 7.5
  • The Gospel Coalition 14.9
  • SBC Voices 14.2
  • Kevin DeYoung 6.5
  • David Murray 14.5
  • Aaron Armstrong 13.3

I compared this with my blog: 15.2

I asked myself, “What type of blog do I want to be”?

Zach Nielsen and Abraham Piper post so much because they seldom right original material. Jared Wilson and Kevin DeYoung post so little because almost all that they post is original material. DG, SBC Voices, and TGC post a couple times per day because they are group blogs filled with original material. Challies posts 16 times per week because he’s Challies. Folks like David Murray, Stetzer, Trevin Wax, Aaron Armstrong and myself post 13-15 times per week because we share content and post original stuff.

Then I asked myself, “What do I want to accomplish with my blog”?

At core I want to write in such a way that Jesus is the only boast of this generation. I want to accomplish that goal by sharing Christ-exalting resources. I also want to accomplish that goal by writing quality Christ-exalting resources myself.

I have secondary goals, like having fun, making sports picks, creating a community, sharing humor, etc. But all of that is to ultimately point people back to Jesus.

I came to this conclusion:

My 15.2 article per week is too high. I cannot post at a high quality level by posting this much. Furthermore, I am not fulfilling my goal of keeping people wanting more. Therefore, my new goal is to post 12 times per week. This means no more than 14 and no less than 10.

I will share quality content M-F in my Today in Blogworld segment. That takes up 5 posts. On Saturdays I will attempt to compile a resource list. On Sundays I hope to pull something out of my archives. This leaves 5 original posts to be written Monday-Friday. I believe this will help me accomplish my goal and focus on better content.

2 comments:

  1. Love your blog and your writing, Mike. It's fresh, original, punchy, clear, brief, thought-provoking. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, David. It's more helpful and timely than you know
      :-)

      Delete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...