Saturday, March 16, 2013

Two Resources for Practicing Biblical Church Discipline

Our church wants to take the SBC Resolution on Regenerate Church Membership seriously. In order to do this we need to think through the issue of church discipline. What are the best books to guide us in practicing biblical discipline?

Typically I give you a lengthy list. Not this time. There are only two (plus one + plus one) suggestions.

The absolute best book I have ever read on church discipline is Jonathan Leeman’s book The Church and the Surprising Offense of God’s Love. If you want to develop a theology of church discipline this is the place to turn (apart from the Scriptures of course). Leeman has also published Church Discipline: How the Church Protects the Name of Jesus. I have not had a chance to read this book—but I believe it is a more immediately helpful and practical.

The other book that I have found immensely helpful is The Handbook of Church Discipline by Jay Adams. Leeman’s is better, in my opinion, but this one is certainly worthy of your consideration. There are a few charts in here and practical steps that warrant a purchase.

The last resource that I want to suggest is one that I have not read. I am always cautious in suggesting resources that I have not read, but I have always benefited from the work of Ben Merkle. I would be shocked if his book, Those Who Must Give an Account, is not also a solid read. (Have any of my readers read this book? Can you tell me if it’s as solid as I assume it is?)

There you have it.

For only about 30 bucks and some time you will have a few helpful tools in navigating the choppy waters of practicing biblical church discipline.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...