Sunday, January 6, 2008

McCheyne Reading Plan: January 6

Disclaimer: In posting these thoughts, questions, and ramblings I feel it wise to give a disclaimer. There are many people that are far more knowledgeable and gifted in expositing the Word of God than I. These thoughts are not intended to be in-depth analysis of the text. They are thoughts. They are questions. They are ramblings. It will be a display of what God is teaching me through His Word. In depth study will be done at a different time. It is also good to know the author's goal. 1) To be accountable in reading through Scripture. 2) To share these thoughts with others. Possibly for someone else's edification; possibly for my own. 3) To glorify God through His Word. 4) To spur one another on in taking up Scripture and reading! So without further ado, here are today's readings:

Genesis 6:

This chapter is a wonderful synopsis of Scripture. Man is exceedingly messed up and God is exceedingly merciful. He should have (if that's okay to say) blotted man out after he sinned in the Garden. Yet he shows mercy. Fast forward quiet a few years and we get the same story. Man has gotten worse. "The Lord saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually." Oh, painfully true is this of my heart and flesh apart from Christ! God does decide to execute justice as everything will die except those he saves.

We are not told how Noah found favor with the Lord, but he did. Thankfully for us, he did.

Where Shem, Ham, and Japheth triplets?

I am extremely thankful for the Lord's mercy in not only saving Noah, but also saving me.

Matthew 6:

I think of McCheyne in verse 1. "Perish my honor." I know that sometimes I do my acts of righteousness in order to be seen by men. Lord, forgive me. I want your reward and not the reward of man.

"Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors". So....what happens if you refuse to forgive your debtors? May God grant us a forgiving heart. This is a very serious matter. It seems as if our own forgiveness is pending on following this. How can a wicked heart do such? Indeed he cannot. We must have a regenerate heart. The Lord must work it.

How many treasures do I have on earth compared to those in heaven?

Is my only Master the Lord?

"Seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you". I have seen the truth of this verse displayed numerous times in my own life. God certainly is good and gives us everything we need.

"Sufficient for the day is its own trouble". Why do I think it an anomaly if I experience tough days?

Ezra 6:

How amazing that even though others meant ill, God used this to speed the building of the temple. The Lord is certainly passionate about His glory, His name, and worship. He controls the hearts of men to do just this. Even when they intend evil, God turns it for His glory and our good.

Again we see them celebrate with joy. I pray that we might have this great joy. God has done far greater things than the rebuilding of his temple. (See Haggai 2:9).

Acts 6:

What should a minister of the gospel be about? "But we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word". It is so sad that often ministers have to spend so much time doing such work as "waiting on tables" to the neglect of administering the word. I pray that the Lord might bring about in my life a steadfastness in prayer and ministry of the word.

"Full of grace and power." Could that be said of me? Certainly, not my own fleshly power--but the power of the Spirit flowing through my life. I'm not sure it could. Lord, for your name sake, fill me with grace and your power.

We need more men like Stephen!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...