Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Proverbs for Christian Blogging: How to Tell If I Really Desire Wisdom

    Whoever corrects a scoffer gets himself abuse,
        and he who reproves a wicked man incurs injury.
    Do not reprove a scoffer, or he will hate you;
        reprove a wise man, and he will love you.
    Give instruction to a wise man, and he will be still wiser;
        teach a righteous man, and he will increase in learning.
(Proverbs 9:7-9 ESV)

“You really shanked this article.  I’m surprised that the folks at your church aren’t gathering sticks as pyre for torching you for heresy”. 

“You know I’ve read through this article and either it is not making sense to me or I just cannot agree with it.  I think you are wrong and here are 74 reasons why…”

“Your comment is absolutely ignorant.  I can’t believe someone that calls himself a Christian and would say something so asinine” 

“Thanks for your comment.  I believe you have misrepresented my position and here are 5 reasons why.  Nonetheless, thanks for the comment.  I look forward to your response.  Grace”.

Regardless, of the level of truthfulness within or the tone underneath each of these statements how I respond to them has much to say about my desire for wisdom.  If I respond with intent to injure, hatred, and defensiveness then it is quite likely that I do not really desire wisdom.  I only want to be right.  I want to be worshipped not used as a humble servant of a King. 

Yet, if I respond (and not just pretend to respond because that’s what Proverbs says I’m to do but truly respond) with a desire to learn, grow, and a thankfulness for being sharpened there is a good chance that I really am pursuing wisdom. 

So, check your heart.  What does your response to other peoples response (whether a good rebuke or a jerky one) tell you about your desire to pursue wisdom? 

Now be nice in the comments…I couldn’t bear an insult. 

2 comments:

  1. Why are you blogging on your anniversary trip with your wife? Not very "wise" my friend.
    Jodie

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. Everything that posts for the next three days was written days/weeks ago. This comment on the other hand...

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...