Tuesday, June 26, 2012

3 Reasons I Seldom Use Facebook

It still looks like I use Facebook but I really do not.  It looks that way because it is linked to my Twitter account and so whenever I post something to Twitter it will also post on Facebook.  And I am messaged by Facebook for certain things and so I will still respond and check in occasionally.  But for the most part I no longer scroll through Facebook and here are 3 reasons why.

1.  It’s summer time.  I don’t want to see you in a bikini.  I’m happy that you had fun in Florida and that your swim party was really exciting and awesome and wonderful but I don’t really care to see pictures.  Bikini’s are no different than you posting pictures of you in your underpants, I don’t want to see that either. 

2. Too much junk.  No matter how many of these little Facebook programs I say “I don’t want to be notified about” they keep coming up with new junk that I have to intentionally ignore.  I wish that Facebook had an option that said, “Generally I don’t care about imaginary farms, I’ll let you know if I start to care, but until then please don’t send me these notifications”.  This is not to mention all of the pictures and pithy statuses that tell me I’m going to hell if I don’t forward this picture of Kenny Loggins

3. It’s distracting.  There are a million links, pictures, and a host of other things that can tempt me into squandering valuable time.  Don’t get me wrong I think there are some really good links and articles on Facebook.  But there is also so much to sift through that the end doesn’t really justify the means. 

So these are 3 reasons that I have largely abandoned Facebook.  I still use it for a few things.  It’s good for messages.  It’s good for announcements.  I do like the ability to have conversations.  But I think for the most part there is so much junk on Facebook now that even that has been muted because within 15 minutes there is something else up on your Facebook feed. 

2 comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...