Saturday, September 22, 2012

5 Books I’m Digging Right Now

It seems like really good books are just rolling into my office right now.  I noted a few weeks ago 5 books that I was really enjoying.  I’ve since finished 3 of those 5.  I now have five new books that I’m reading that I’m really digging:

  1. Gospel Deeps by Jared Wilson is a book about reveling in the excellencies of Jesus.  The gospel is bigger than you think.  Jared hopes to begin plumbing the depths.
  2. Center Church by Tim Keller looks like a text book but reads like a passionate plea to do balanced gospel-centered ministry in the place the Lord has placed you.
  3. Christless Christianity by Michael Horton is a sickening look at the alternative gospel of the American Church coupled with a plea to repent and again believe and proclaim the biblical gospel
  4. Dynamics of Spiritual Life by Richard Lovelace is a classic.  Written in the 70’s Lovelace looks at the history of revival movements and throws in various insights throughout on biblical spirituality.
  5. David Brainerd by Vance Christie tells the story of the man that captivated the heart of Jonathan Edwards’ daughter, a missionary to the native Americans who died at the age of 29. 

If you could only get one of the above books I’d probably suggest Jared Wilson’s Gospel Deeps.  I’m only about a quarter of the way through it but like it so far.  Center Church probably isn’t for everyone but it’s going to prove really helpful for pastors and church planters.  Horton’s book is a tremendous call to the church to get back to following Christ.  He doesn’t mince words.  I just started the biography of Brainerd but his story is tremendous and Christie seems to be apt biographer. 

Click on the links above if you want to check them out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...