Thursday, August 2, 2012

Top 5 Reasons I Didn’t Go to Chick-fil-A Yesterday

In case you somehow missed it, yesterday was Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day.  In the past few weeks they have come under fire from the LGBT community for CEO Dan Cathy’s support of traditional marriage.  Mike Huckabee delcared August 1st Chick-fil-A appreciation day and encouraged Christians and all those that support traditional marriage to show their support for the embattled franchise. 

I didn’t go. 

Here is why…

  1. The closest Chick-fil-A is a little over an hour away from my house.  I wasn’t able to drive that far on a Wednesday.
  2. The lines, I hear, were atrocious.  I don’t like long lines.
  3. I only had 3-4 bucks. 
  4. After working at Chick-fil-A for about 6 months my body developed a chemical dependency to their chicken and lemonade.  I’m trying to wean myself off and I really didn’t want to fall of the wagon.  Because of #1…I can’t get to a Chick-fil-A very often
  5. It’s become more than simply supporting Chick-fil-A

Number 5 is the real reason I wouldn’t have went even if the other 4 things weren’t a factor.  If this was only about supporting Chick-fil-A from a ridiculous boycott then I’d be the first in line.  (Or well one of the first 500, at least). 

But it’s become more than that. 

It’s become a sort of counter-protest.  Consider the way Fox News reported it:

It used to be that taking a bite of a chicken sandwich just meant you were hungry. Now it has become a symbol of whether you stand for or against same-sex marriage, or – alternately – the right to express your personal views without fear of retaliation.

And though Christ is very counter-cultural and somewhat of a revolutionary in the eyes of the religious elite of his day, I’m not sure if the way of Christ would be to eat at Chick-fil-A to communicate that we value our American freedom, or chicken sandwiches, and traditional marriage. 

I’m not saying that Christ doesn’t support traditional marriage.  That’d be dumb.  He not only supports traditional marriage, He defines it.  And I’m not even saying that Jesus wouldn’t support Dan Cathy and probably buy a Chick-fil-A sandwich.  I just wonder if maybe he’d do it tomorrow when all the politicization isn’t surrounding it. 

I’m with Barnabas Piper in thinking that maybe this will cost a little more than we bargained for.

---

Also, I’m not sure that those standing in line have counted the cost of eating a highly addictive and delicious chicken sandwich and their what seems to be heroine-laced lemonade.  Seriously, they’ll have to eat there every day now or go through painful withdraws. 

1 comment:

  1. "the real reason I wouldn’t have went" That phrase was written on heroine laced lemonade

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...